This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Friday 7 June 2013

Grain Free Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti

This is one of my favourite grain free cookies. I think I have said that about every grain free cookie that I have made to date, BUT THIS TIME I REALLY MEAN IT! Grain Free Biscotti has an added bonus: they store better than any other grain free cookie I have made. (most need to be stored in the fridge after the first day to have them last, and they lose their crispness fairly quickly).  I have had these in the cookie jar for up to a week at home. They may not be quite as crisp as an authentic biscotti, but for a storable grain free cookie, this is “da bomb!! “

 I originally made these for  the dessert portion of my Grain Free Italian Cooking class that I taught, but ended up subbing in an Orange Walnut Date version instead. It was a tossup for which one to use in the class, but my taste testers chose the Orange Walnut Date version (by only a small margin though! I  promised the class that I would post this recipe soon on the blog, but it meant making another batch, because I hadn't taken a single picture of them. Any excuse for me to make more cookies, lol! 

These ones differ a bit from the other recipe in that they have nut butter in them as well as the nut flours. I have used both almond butter, and sunflower butter in them, it doesn't  make much difference in the end product at all. So use whatever  nut butter you have on hand, just make sure, whichever one you choose, that it is not sweetened.  

Grain Free Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti
2 eggs
2/3 cup nut butter
1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee (or water if desired)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 ½ tsp vanilla
1 cup almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
1/3 cup cacao powder
½ cup sprouted milled Chia- Flax mix (Organic Traditions has a nice mix)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
3 tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup cacao nibs (or sub chocolate chips)
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts 

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a large mixing bowl, blend together the nut butter, eggs, coconut oil, coffee and vanilla with an immersion blender until well combined. Add the rest of your dry ingredients EXCEPT the cacao nibs and the macadamia nuts. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Your dough will be fairly thick and sticky. Add the nibs and nuts, and mix again to evenly distribute them thru the dough.
Divide your dough in 2 equal pieces and shape into 2 logs on a parchment lined cookie pan. I find forming the logs with my hands slightly wet the best way to shape them. Your logs should measure about an inch high and just about 2 inches wide (ish, just go for a nice even log shape, trying to keep the ends from being too thin or squished)
Cut into 1 inch cookies
Bake your logs in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and lower temperature in oven to 325. Cool cookies on pan for 10 minutes. 
Cut  into cookies with a very sharp knife, approx 1 inch wide( when cutting, use more of a guillotine motion than a  slicing motion, as the cookies may crumble with the back and forth motion) . Stand up on cookie sheets  and bake for another 20-22 minutes until dried and “biscotti” like.  They should be fairly dry to the touch on the cut sides of the cookies.

Remove cookies from pan to a cooling rack and cool before serving.

unbaked dough
These cookies store well at room temperature for approx 1 Week, if they last that long J
once baked dough

No comments:

Post a Comment