This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Sunday 27 October 2013

Grain Free Coconut Flour Carrot Cake, and a New Product Review!

This post is a recipe re-make of sorts, and my very first product review, all at the same time! A few weeks back, at the Fall CHFA show (Health Food Trade Show) one of my favourite Demo-reps-turned-sales-rep Deb introduced me to the VP of St. Francis Herb Farm. This company, from Eastern Ontario, has an amazing product line up, I have been a fan for years. Deb mentioned my blog to him and he ended up giving me a bottle of their new Coconut Oil & Butter Ghee Cooking Sprays to try out. I had already been ogling it, being a fan of their Butter Ghee and Coconut Oil Butter Ghee already, this spray caught my eye right away. Having given up the aerosol oil sprays years ago, I have been using the old school method of greasing pans, using a gob of butter and a paper towel, or my silicone basting brush with decent results, albeit messy! But, I have missed the tidy convenience of the spray, and I was thrilled to test drive this virtuous and healthy spray. Butter Ghee and Coconut Oil have amazing health benefits, and this product combines them in a super convenient spray with no unhealthy aerosols or propellants, a definite bonus!
I have been promising to make my hubbie a carrot cake, and it was the perfect test run for the Coconut Oil and Butter Ghee Spray. I am pleased to say it did not disappoint! The carrot cakes popped right out of the pan after a quick run around with a knife, with alot less fuss and muss than the paper towel/butter method. (I did line my pans with a piece of parchment on the bottom, a bit of extra insurance that I would have used with plain old butter as well!) I am impressed and look forward to trying many more things with this spray!

For the hubbie-promised carrot cake, I used my tried and true Grain Free Coconut Flour Carrot Cake Muffin recipe, and simply doubled it. I baked it in two greased and lined 8 inch round pans, for 50 minutes at 375F. (note the increased temp and time from the muffin recipe!) For the icing, I used 2 tubs of Western plain creme cheese, and added 2 tbsp of Cocovie Vanilla Coconut Jam, and 2 Tbsp of coconut sugar, blended well in my stand mixer. The cake was amazing, to say the least, a definite keeper!


The first slice, just waiting for a fork!

Ready to bake!






No comments:

Post a Comment