This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Sunday 30 March 2014

Maple Butter Rice Pudding

I don’t very often post recipes that are not on the “healthy” side of things, especially recipes that focus on grains. Rice is all but a stranger in my kitchen anymore. I had a hard time deciding if I should actually post this recipe at all!  But every once in a while you need some comfort food, and this folks, is just that. I will not extol the virtues of this recipe beyond saying…if you are going to indulge, and you like rice pudding, you must try this.  Scale the recipe back if you want, it does make a lot. I feed teenage boys in my kitchen, though, and the size of this recipe meets the size of their appetites, ‘nuff said!  Leftovers go in small mason jars for quick snacks or lunch box additions.  The original recipe comes from James Beard, from an old milk calendar I believe. I have tweaked this recipe several times over the years, and this is our favourite version. Plain and simple ingredients, that when combined and baked, create something wonderful.
The type of rice is important here, Arborio is a short grain Italian rice that has a naturally high starch content. When cooked, it yields a firm yet creamy texture that is perfect for rice pudding and risottos.












Maple Butter Rice Pudding

1 cup organic Arborio rice 
6 cups milk
½ cup maple syrup
3 tbsp butter
½ tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 300F.

Place all ingredients together in a large oven safe casserole dish, and stir to combine.  Place in preheated oven (uncovered) and bake for 2 hours.  Remove from oven and let cool. Serve at room temp or chilled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment