This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Thursday 25 September 2014

Bean-Free Roasted Beet Hummus

I realize, dear loyal blog readers, that it has been a while since I have posted anything new, and for that I humbly apologize. It is not for lack of kitchen creation, let me assure you! Life simply gets in the way at times, between working full time, creating new recipes for upcoming classes, and life in general, eeking out time to post recipes can be a challenge!
The recipe I want to share today is so simple and easy though, I wanted to post it quickly this morning to share the yumminess!!  I was taking a veggie tray to a family birthday gathering on the weekend, and wanted a non-dairy, non bean veggie dip to take along side it. Still having quite a few beets in the garden left to pull, I thought it was an awesome time to try out a roasted beet hummus. There are quite a few recipes floating around in cyber-recipe land that use many different kinds of beans, but beans and I still have a tenuous digestive relationship. I wanted to keep this simple, and have the flavour of the roasted beets as the shining star. The result was an earthy tangy and downright addictive dip that was amazing with raw veg.
I hope you love it as much as I did!

Bean-Free Roasted Beet Hummus 

5-6 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed (peel if desired, mine were garden fresh, I left the skins on)
2 tbsp avocado oil
3/4 tsp Herbamare (or other quality sea salt of choice)
1/4 cup tahini (organic!!)
Juice of 1 lemon,


Preheat oven to 450F

Chop beets into 2 inch cubes, (mine measured a very generous 2 cups when chopped) and place in a baking dish. Drizzle with avocado oil, sprinkle with Herbamare and roast for approx 30 minutes, or until the beets are soft thru when poked with a sharp knife.

Remove from oven and cool until just about room temperature
When beets are cool, scrape them and all of the pan juices into a food processor. Add the tahini, and lemon juice. Process until mixture forms a nice smooth paste, stopping and scraping down sides of processor bowl a few times during the process.

Scoop hummus from processor into serving bowl or storage container. Chill before serving alongside a nice organic veggie tray!!






No comments:

Post a Comment