This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Saturday 8 August 2015

Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon

I had a craving for broccoli salad, and decided to make a batch for lunch one day last week. The particular salad I was hankering for uses mayonnaise. But being Thursday, I didn’t want to make a whole jar of mayo because of its short shelf life. (My recipe uses a whole raw egg, and it only lasts in the fridge for about 5 days. We don’t go thru enough mayonnaise to use it up quickly, especially on the weekends when we are not packing lunches for the household).  I did have a jar of cashew butter in the fridge though, so I came up with this scrumptious dressing to top the crunchy broccoli. I added some chopped carrots, leftover bacon (I know, leftover bacon???) and some dried cranberries, and this little bit of deliciousness was born. The sriracha in the sauce adds flavor, but not a lot of heat. Adjust if you want it more or less spicy.


Creamy Broccoli Salad with Bacon

Optional: lightly toast your cashews
Dressing:

½ cup cashew butter
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup water
½-1 tsp sriracha sauce (optional, increase or decrease for desired heat!)

Salad:

1 head broccoli, chopped (peel stems, chop and use too)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped small
1 cup chopped cooked bacon
1 cup chopped cashews (I toasted mine J )
½ cup dried cranberries (fruit juice sweetened)
----------
2 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)

Handy chopper is great for
chopping the carrots
Measure dressing ingredients into a blender. Blend until well mixed and creamy.  Set aside.
(Alternatively, measure into a wide mouth mason jar, and blend with a stick blender)


Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Top with dressing and mix well. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds if using and serve immediately. Store leftovers in fridge for 2-3 days.
Shown without black sesame  seeds,
I realized after I took the pictures
that I hadn't added them!





No comments:

Post a Comment