This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Monday 16 July 2018

Garlic Scape Pesto

It is scape season again!! When we moved last year, I had no garden to speak of at the new house to plant my garlic (nor the time to make one with all the renovations) I had a mild panic attack!! NO GARLIC???? How would I survive?? Alright, I may be over exaggerating just a bit, but I did have to get creative and carve out a small spot of my front garden bed late in the fall to get it in the ground. I managed to get over 100 heads of garlic planted in a very tiny spot. Crisis averted! We will not be without garlic this year, or scapes!!
I harvested all of the scapes last week, and have been trying to eek out some time to get them used up. (they do store quite well in the fridge...in an airtight container you'll get at the very least a few weeks out of them!)

After work today, I had some time and lots of ambition (keto Popsicles, BBQ chicken, this pesto, and a big batch of scape and basil compound butter ) This pesto recipe, I am embarrassed to say,  has been sitting in my drafts for a year folks...a year!!! Note the date on the little jar of pesto below...2017!!!!!! This tells you how busy my last year has been!!! )  The garlic itself looks almost ready to pull as well. This southern Ontario heat wave has certainly helped!
the garlic corner by our front step!

So, if you can find some scapes, make up a batch of this pesto! It really is delicious!

Garlic Scape Pesto

30 ish garlic scapes (you want about a cup of chopped scapes. 
½ cup roughly chopped basil
1 cup walnuts
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
¾ tsp sea salt
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
------
½ cup avocado oil (alternatively use EVOO)

In bowl of food processor, pulse scapes until finely chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for the oil. Pulse a few times and then run until all ingredients are chopped and combined into a thick paste. Slowly drizzle in the oil until everything is emulsified and somewhat smooth.
Use as desired right away or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Alternatively, freeze in small mason jars to enjoy at a later time.

delicious on grilled zucchini!




3 comments:

  1. There's a lot of new things to try, and so many differents flavors that taste them all
    it's imposible, so many recetas.

    ReplyDelete