This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Saturday 21 September 2013

Grain Free Mini Blackberry Cobblers

When the weather starts to turn cooler, comfort foods always ease their way back into my cooking repertoire. (ease? Who am I kidding? Mostly they gallop!) It does help that my gas oven heats up the kitchen, great for cooler days, but not so great during the heat of summer!
 I had a bag of organic frozen blackberries in the freezer, and decided to make some individual cobblers with them. I borrowed the topping from my Honeyed Pear Upside DownSkillet Cake, changed it just slightly, and this was the result. We had them as is, but they would be lovely with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
The topping made more than needed for the bag of blackberries I had, (I believe there is about 200g in the bag) for a nice cobbler to fruit ratio. Feel free to use it all if you like a "cakier" cobbler. I greased 2 extra ramekins and baked the excess topping for about 20 minutes, this would be an excellent grain free shortcake!

Grain Free Mini Blackberry Cobblers
1 bag Stahlbush Frozen Marion Blackberries (approx 200g) or other frozen fruit of choice
Zest of ½ a lemon
5 tsp coconut sugar
----------------
3 eggs
2 Tbsp chickpea flour
¼ cup coconut flour
2 Tbsp arrowroot flour
¾ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp coconut sugar
¼ cup kefir

Divide the bag of blackberries evenly between 5  one cup ramekins. Sprinkle each with 1 tsp of coconut sugar, and the lemon zest. Set aside.
Measure the rest of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, and mix well with an immersion blender or a wire whisk.
Divide batter between the 5 ramekins, (bake any excess in greased ramekins and save for another use, I had enough to make 2)
Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until the batter is set (the ones with the batter only will be done in 18-20 minutes)


Serve warm or at room temperature. 
I see an awesome shortcake base here!

No comments:

Post a Comment