This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Chocolate Syrup


I would not consider this a "healthy" recipe, but when you compare the ingredient list in this chocolate syrup to the list on those brown squeezie bottles of syrup, I definitely feel better about giving this one to my kids (or having a bit every once in a while myself!).
This has been a go to recipe with me since I was young. My mom had a Tupperware cookbook called Make-a-Mix, and this recipe was in it. I have tweaked it over the years to both lessen the sugar, and to  get the consistency that my boys like for their chocolate milk. The ingredients are still the same, as is the technique.  For use as a dessert topping, cut the water back by ½ a cup for a thicker syrup.  It will last for a few months in the fridge, unless you have a house full of teenage boys like I do!
***see recipe update below for raw cacao/coconut sugar substitutions! 

Chocolate syrup
2 cups organic cocoa powder (my favourite is the Camino Organic 100% Cocoa)
1 2/3 cups organic cane sugar
2 ½ cups boiling water (2 cups for a thicker syrup)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the sugar and cocoa powder in a medium pot. Add the boiling water, and stir till combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add vanilla, cool and store in fridge.

***RECIPE UPDATE!!!!
I recently made this recipe using coconut sugar and raw cacao powder in place of the cocoa powder and cane sugar. It comes out a little more like a milk chocolate in flavour rather than a dark chocolate, and I did need to add some more water to get a pour-able consistency, more like 3 cups. The coconut sugar helps keep the Glycemic Index (GI) lower. (coconut sugar has a GI level of about 35, evaporated cane juice falls somewhere around 43)

No comments:

Post a Comment