This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Janine’s Breakfast Shake



I must confess, Jim usually makes our shakes in the morning. But I slept in today, and he was already off to work by the time I got up. Being as I often get asked what is in my shake, I figured it was a great day for this post, as I had to make it myself! Our shakes are a nutritional powerhouse to start our day, the energy they provide is amazing. That being said, this shake may not be for everyone, to say the least. We have tweaked it a lot over the years, and our taste buds have changed with it. You will notice there are  no added sweeteners, and there is no fruit at all, so it is not sweet in the least. We also like to choose natural protein sources over the processed protein powders, as we find them much easier to digest. Food in its purest form is always our first choice for bio-availability of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.  We sprout on a continual basis, and have an awesome garden full of greens to pull from during the spring, summer and fall. (I really miss my garden during the winter months...I am already pouring over my seed catalogue for the spring planting season!!)


The basis of the shake is always the same. The add in’s change according to what we have sprouting on the counter at the time, what is in the garden, and what Superfood powders we have in the cupboard. I will list in 3 categories, and link ingredients where possible for more info on why we choose them.

Basic Shake Base:
1.       ¾ cup kefir  (we make our own)
2.       2 raw eggs (pastured, from a farm you trust!)
3.       1 tbsp hemp seeds
4.       1 tbsp Chia seeds (ground or whole, black or white, doesn't matter! we switch back and forth)

Greens:
I think it is prettier before it is blended!
  1. 1/3-1/2 cup of fresh sprouts (alfalfa, red clover, and mung beans are our faves, sometimes we do broccoli too)
  2. 1/3-1/2 cup fresh greens (spinach, kale, dandelion, lettuce) OR a serving of a greens powder if we have nothing fresh, but fresh is always preferable!)
Superfoods: (we don’t use all of these all of the time, the first three are pretty much always used, the rest we alternate and switch up quite often, each one adds a different profile of nutrients, as well as taste!)

  1. 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
  2.  2 tsp raw cacao powder
  3. 1 tsp maca powder
  4.  ½-1 tsp chlorella powder
  5. ½ -1 tsp Spirulina powder
  6. ½-1 tsp moringa powder
  7.  ½ tsp gotu kola powder
  8. 1 tsp ashwaganda powder
  9.  Bee pollen granules (anywhere from a few granules up to a tsp)
We use the single blender –style shake cups, so if we want different ingredients, we can customize each cup. Enjoy, and let me know if anyone is brave enough to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment