This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Thursday 21 March 2013

Grain-Free Blueberry Cobbler




I arrived home from work after a stressful day, craving some good old fashioned comfort food. A nice beef curry was already planned for dinner, but that, my friends, was not enough. I just so happened to have a bunch of nice organic blueberries that were begging to be used in something decadent, like a nice blueberry cobbler. But, that poses a problem when you have taken grains and refined sugars out of your diet. So, to my trusty laptop I went, to search for a grain free version. And I found nothing resembling the type of cobbler I was craving. Every recipe I found was much more “crisp” like, not the cakey-fruity combination that my stressed out psyche was craving. (I know, food should not be a crutch, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!) So, I invented this, as a balm to my soul, and it was good. Very, very good. Almost guiltless comfort food, topped with fresh whipped cream…bliss in a bowl!

Grain-Free Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberry  layer
3 cups organic blueberries, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
3 Tbsp maple syrup
Cobbler layer
1 cup almond flour
3 T coconut flour
½ tsp baking soda
½  tsp salt
3 eggs
2 Tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup milk (or milk substitute of choice)
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F
In an 8x8 glass baking dish, toss the blueberries with the arrowroot flour. Drizzle with the first amount (3 tbsp) of maple syrup. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, add all of the cobbler ingredients, and mix very well with an immersion blender or lots of elbow grease and a wire whisk. Coconut flour tends to clump, be sure to mix well! Pour evenly over the blueberry mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the batter starts to turn a nice golden brown, and the blueberries start to bubble near the edges.
Serve either warm or at room temperature, with fresh whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment