This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Grain Free Zucchini Pancakes


This recipe was invented today for a quick lunch to take to Jim at work. He has a toaster oven that is awesome for reheating things like this, which eliminates the need for a microwave (yay!) I came across a similar recipe on Pinterest a few nights ago, and, still  having an excess of zucchini in the garden, I THOUGHT I had pinned it to come back to. But, alas, when I went back for it, it was lost in cyberspace :(   So, being short on time, I threw together my own version, and they worked out very well.

I served these with butter and maple syrup, but after eating them, I can see them being delicious with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on the raw side before flipping,  and a chutney/salsa type of topping.  Or skip the cheese, and top with a chunky homemade apple sauce, or some apple butter….Oh the possibilities!!


Grain Free Zucchini Pancakes

6 eggs, preferably pastured

¾ cup almond flour

1/3 cup coconut flour

½ tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

2/3 cup kefir or yogurt

2  8-inch (ish) zucchinis, grated or shredded (I used one yellow and one green)

Butter or coconut oil for greasing pan


Measure all ingredients  EXCEPT for grated Zucchini and butter  into a mixing bowl. Whiz with a stick blender (or in your blender jar) until very well combined. Add zucchini and mix well. Set aside to thicken up and heat up your pan/griddle to medium. (I use my large cast iron griddle across 2 burners of my gas stove…works great!)
When griddle is hot, add enough butter to grease well, and scoop batter onto hot pan using about ¼-1/3 cup at a time, depending on the size you want your pancakes.
Let cook till they just start to dry out around the edges, and flip to cook the other side. I find these a bit more finicky to flip than wheat based pancakes, you may need to cook them for a bit longer than you think necessary. Just keep an eye on your pan temperature so they don't start to burn.
Serve warm with toppings of choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment